The US president also responds to criticism from family members who threatened not to come to the memorial services if certain content is not made public. This can be done within six months.
US President Joe Biden has ordered the Justice Department and other agencies to investigate the release of classified documents related to the September 11 terrorist attacks. An ordinance will require Attorney General Merrick Garland to publish relevant documents related to the investigation into the attacks over the next six months, Biden said. Information should not remain classified if the public interest in disclosure outweighs damage to national security, the order said.
“When I ran for president, I pledged to ensure transparency in the release of documents related to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on America,” Biden said in a statement. In view of the 20th anniversary of the attacks, he now wants to fulfill that promise. Previously, some of the victims’ families had threatened not to show up for the 20th anniversary commemorations if Biden did not release documents.
Their main concern was documents that shed light on Saudi Arabia’s role in the attacks. Families of victims of the terrorist attacks have long wanted to hold the Gulf state to account. The background to this are allegations against the country having links with the terrorist organization al-Qaeda. The majority of the attackers were also Saudi citizens.
On September 11, 2001, Islamist terrorists sent three hijacked planes to the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington. Another hijacked plane crashed in Pennsylvania. About 3,000 people were killed in the attacks.